The Democracy Collaborative was established in 2000 to advance a new understanding of democracy for the 21st century and to promote new strategies and innovations in community development that enhance democratic life.
Our goal is to change the prevailing paradigm of community economic development–and of the economy as a whole—in the United States toward a new emphasis and system based on:
- Broadening ownership and stewardship over capital
- Democracy at the workplace
- Stabilizing community and emphasizing locality
- Equitable and inclusive growth
- Environmental, social, and institutional sustainability
The Collaborative is a national leader in the field of community development through our Community Wealth Building Initiative. The Initiative sustains a wide range of projects involving research, training, policy development, and community-focused work designed to promote an asset-based paradigm and increase support for the field across-the-board.